German police round up two suspects after foiled terror attack in Essen
Two suspects in Oberhausen were arrested, possibly in connection with a terror threat, after German police in Essen ordered a shopping mall to shut down on Saturday.
Published: March 12, 2017, 7:17 am
According to the German tabloid newspaper Bild the threat was viewed by security services as a potential multiple suicide bombing. The suicide bombers were plotting to attack the Limbecker Platz mall, one of the largest in Germany, with explosives.
Sources said a German man who traveled to Syria to fight alongside ISIS was the suspected mastermind. He had reportedly been in contact with a number of people in the Essen area to organize the attack, and had also sent them bomb-making instructions via an online chat.
“The current state of our investigations points to the threat being exclusively at the shopping mall,” German police said in a statement earlier, but later said Oberhausen’s Centro shopping centre was also revealed to be a potential target, with officers stationed there as a precaution.
One of the suspects was questioned after a police search of an apartment and another was taken in for questioning from a nearby internet cafe. Security sources told the German Press Agency that both had been in contact with Syrian militants, but they were not being treated as would-be perpetrators.
The mall, as well as adjoining parking garages and an underground rail station were in lockdown while a large police presence surrounded the area with sniffer dog teams.
“We received very serious indications from security sources that a possible attack was planned here for today and would be carried out,” a spokesman for Essen police confirmed according to the Reuters news agency. “That is why we were forced to take these measures.”
The mall remained closed for the rest of Saturday, after the German Press Agency and Bild quoted security sources as saying the plot was believed to be linked to the Islamic State.
Officials said information was obtained on Friday from another, unspecified, security authority and investigations ran through the night.
An interior ministry spokesman in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia, however declined to comment on reports about ISIS involvement in the foiled plot.
Germany has already been the target of a series of attacks over the past year, with ISIS claiming responsibility for several, including the murder of a teen in Hamburg, a suicide bombing in Ansbach and an axe rampage on a train in Würzburg that injured five.
In December a Tunisian asylum seeker drove a truck into a Berlin Christmas market killing 12 people, and last July, a German-Iranian man, shot dead nine people at a Munich shopping mall before turning the gun on himself.
In the past 24 hours Germany witnessed at least three other attacks, including a gas attack on a Hamburg metro, but authorities have denied any links to terror.
All rights reserved. You have permission to quote freely from the articles provided that the source (www.freewestmedia.com) is given. Photos may not be used without our consent.
Consider donating to support our work
Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.
Keep your language polite. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in, for example, Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.
If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violations of any law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.
If your comments are subject to preview by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.
We reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.
MoscowPresident Vladimir Putin donned a yellow hazmat suit to explain to the public the emergency measures taken by the Russian government.
RomeAfter a few days of decline, the number of new cases in Italy have increased again. Wednesday's rise in the number of dead were 683, while on Tuesday the rise was 743. The number of confirmed cases in the US has however surpassed China and Italy to become the largest outbreak in the world.
MoscowEurope currently appears to be drowning in chaos and dysfunction when it comes to the fight against the Coronavirus. But how is Russia handling the challenge right now?
RomeIt will no longer be possible to disinfect hospitals, ambulances, public transport and schools. The League has urged the EU to step in. "The government and Europe must intervene as soon as possible."
ParisWhile drastic containment measures came into effect on March 17 at noon in France, carelessness and incivility persist in the immigrant districts of Paris. The police dispatched on the spot are exasperated with the inhabitants.
A virologist twice nominated for the Nobel Prize explains the British strategy of "herd immunity" claiming it may have a logical explanation, but is still too risky.
RomeIt seems that there are no more doubts since the data are clear: The mortality from Covid-19 is higher "for hypertensive patients, patients with cardiac arrhythmias, diabetics and patients with cardiovascular diseases".
RotterdamThe first drug capable of attacking and neutralizing the Coronavirus could be ready for experimentation after a group of Dutch researchers discovered an antibody.
BrusselsIn the teleconference between the 27 health ministers, Italy raised the alarm. But none of the "allies" responded.
The HagueThe Rotterdam mosque De Middenweg and the Amsterdam Blue Mosque are in the grip of the Muslim Brotherhood. This was the message from the terror expert and investigator Ronald Sandee this week during his testimony in the Dutch lower house of parliament on unwanted foreign influence in Islamic institutions.