Le Pen joins international condemnation of US attack on Syria
Leader of France's Front National's Marine Le Pen, joined the international chorus against the US attack on Syria
Published: April 9, 2017, 10:58 am
In a television interview with BFM TV, Le Pen said: “Trump was elected by announcing that the United States would no longer be the policeman of the world, would no longer interfere. The facts are appalling in Syria. It takes an international commission to conduct an independent investigation.”
Le Pen, frontrunner in the French Presidential election on an anti-EU, anti-globalist and anti-immigration ticket, also cast doubt on president Trump’s motivation for the attack on Syria. She compared Trump’s explanation to bomb Syria to the non-existent weapons of mass destruction used to justify the US invasion of Iraq in 2003.
“Marine Le Pen has dropped references to Trump on the campaign trail,” says Richard Maher, research fellow at European University Institute who studies European integration. “Trump is really unpopular in France — even among Le Pen’s own supporters,” Maher says. A poll carried out two days after Trump was elected found that 75 percent of French voters had a negative image of the new US leader. Some 47 percent of FN voters dislike Trump.
Italian Northern League leader Matteo Salvini described the assault on Syria as “a bad idea, big mistake, and a gift to ISIS” in a Facebook post. “Haven’t the disasters in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya taught them [the US administration] anything?” he asked.
Former UKIP leader Nigel Farage, and current UKIP leader Paul Nuttall as well as UKIP donor Arron Banks are among Trump supporters who have been deeply disappointed by his sudden and unexpected turnaround.
Farage previously spoke at the billionaire tycoon’s mass rallies, and was the first British politician to visit Trump Tower after Hillary Clinton’s shock defeat. But on Friday, he said: “I think a lot of Trump voters will be waking up this morning and scratching their heads and saying ‘where will it all end?'” In another tweet he said: “I’m surprised. Whatever Assad’s sins, he is secular.”
UKIP’s current leader Paul Nuttall also condemned the attack.
— UKIP (@UKIP) April 7, 2017
UKIP donor Arron Banks labelled Donald Trump’s choice “stupid” and said the president should have stayed out of the Middle East.
Popular British conservative journalist Katie Hopkins also voiced her concern.
— Katie Hopkins (@KTHopkins) April 8, 2017
The only so-called pro-Trump US journalist Bill Mitchell, who praised the attack on Syria, also runs Jared Kuschner’s media campaign.
American conservative commentator Ann Coulter, who campaigned for Donald Trump, wrote: “Those who wanted us meddling in the Middle East voted for other candidates. Trump campaigned on not getting involved in Mideast. Said it always helps our enemies & creates more refugees. Then he saw a picture on TV.”
— Ann Coulter (@AnnCoulter) April 7, 2017
All rights reserved. You have permission to quote freely from the articles provided that the source (www.freewestmedia.com) is given. Photos may not be used without our consent.
Consider donating to support our work
Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.
Keep your language polite. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in, for example, Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.
If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violations of any law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.
If your comments are subject to preview by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.
We reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.
MilanThe region of Lombardy has involuntarily found itself to be the epicenter of the Italian epidemic and is paying the price: 9 202 deaths since the beginning of the infection and over 51 000 cases.
MarseilleIn an interview with a French newspaper, the director of the Marseille University Hospital Institute (IHU), Professor Didier Raoult, defended the effectiveness of chloroquine and said further studies on the drug were just a waste of time.
"We will soon be short of important drugs" in the fight against the new Coronavirus, Europe's largest hospital warned in a letter to its respective governments.
MadridSpain's health ministry has announced 838 Covid-19 deaths, the country's highest daily increase in fatalities, bringing the total to 6 528.
MoscowPresident Vladimir Putin donned a yellow hazmat suit to explain to the public the emergency measures taken by the Russian government.
RomeAfter a few days of decline, the number of new cases in Italy have increased again. Wednesday's rise in the number of dead were 683, while on Tuesday the rise was 743. The number of confirmed cases in the US has however surpassed China and Italy to become the largest outbreak in the world.
MoscowEurope currently appears to be drowning in chaos and dysfunction when it comes to the fight against the Coronavirus. But how is Russia handling the challenge right now?
RomeIt will no longer be possible to disinfect hospitals, ambulances, public transport and schools. The League has urged the EU to step in. "The government and Europe must intervene as soon as possible."
ParisWhile drastic containment measures came into effect on March 17 at noon in France, carelessness and incivility persist in the immigrant districts of Paris. The police dispatched on the spot are exasperated with the inhabitants.
A virologist twice nominated for the Nobel Prize explains the British strategy of "herd immunity" claiming it may have a logical explanation, but is still too risky.