Trump heading for a showdown with Pentagon over Ukraine
Just last week, US media reported that Washington was planning to provide military assistance to Ukraine in 2018. Kiev's friend in Washington is Mike Pence: In February, the vice president used the Munich Security Conference to recommit to the NATO military buildup in Eastern Europe.
Published: June 26, 2017, 10:43 am
“[The bill on Pentagon’s 2018 budget] certainly does continue to include military assistance to Ukraine and encouragement that the administration provide lethal assistance, so Ukrainians can defend themselves against the aggression, that is coming at them from the East,” chairman of the House Armed Services Committee Mac Thornberry said in his answer to a question from Russian news agency TASS.
The Neocon dissatisfaction with President Trump’s Pentagon budget was revealed when Thornberry unveiled his stinging counterproposal on arming Ukraine, signalling a showdown between the Pentagon and Trump.
On May 10 Pence met with Ukrainian Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin in the White House and reiterated his assurances from Munich, “for Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity,” according to a readout of the meeting.
Andrea Thompson, the vice president’s national security advisor, said at the 2017 GLOBSEC forum in Bratislava, Slovakia, that Trump and Pence agree completely on Ukraine: “There is no gap between the President and the Vice President.” She was sitting next to Klimkin.
On Fox News Channel last week, Republican Liz Cheney, the lesbian daughter of former Defense Secretary and Vice President Dick Cheney, noted that both Thornberry and his Senate counterpart John McCain also agree on arming Ukraine.
In early May, the US Senate approved the draft federal budget until September 30, 2017, in which the country continues to provide financial assistance to Ukraine including military support, but weapons supplies are a violation of the Minsk agreements.
Andrei Krasov, the first deputy chair of Russia’s lower house of parliament defense committee, said Washington should convince Ukrainian president Poroshenko to observe the Minsk agreements rather, instead of supplying weapons to Kiev.
“By providing Kiev with weapons that are more than just defensive, they will only add more fuel to the current crisis. Instead of supplying weapons, Washington should convince Poroshenko and his government to start implementing the Minsk agreements. This is the only way to start resolving the crisis,” Krasov told Sputnik.
Franz Klintsevich, First Deputy Chairman of the Russian Federation Council Committee on Defense and Security, said that the meaning of “defensive weapons” was quite a relative term.
“These supplies will be perceived by Kiev as a confirmation of validity of its course in Donbass, and this will further destabilize the situation,” Klintsevich added.
Meanwhile the US Department of Defense on Sunday refused to comment on claims that Defense Secretary Jim Mattis may visit Ukraine soon, after Poroshenko said on Sunday that he expected the visit of Mattis to Ukraine within two or three months.
On Friday, Russian Foreign Ministry issued a statement about Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s recently held a telephone conversation with his US counterpart Rex Tillerson, regarding the renewal of US sanctions against Russia.
During the conversation, Lavrov said Moscow was still waiting for an answer from Washington on its proposals concerning the normalisation of bilateral relations between the two countries.
FWM columnist dr Paul Craig Roberts, suggested that it would be difficult for Trump to improve relations with Russia when the commander of US forces in Europe was openly threatening Russia. The commander of US forces in Europe, General Ben Hodges, lined up tanks on Poland’s border with Russia and fired salvos “that the general says are a message to Russia, not a training exercise”.
Roberts added: “Clearly, Trump is not in control of the most important part of his agenda – peace with the thermo-nuclear powers and cessation of interference in the affairs of other countries.”
All rights reserved. You have permission to quote freely from the articles provided that the source (www.freewestmedia.com) is given. Photos may not be used without our consent.
Consider donating to support our work
Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.
Keep your language polite. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in, for example, Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.
If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violations of any law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.
If your comments are subject to preview by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.
We reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.
East PalestineAfter the derailment of a freight train loaded with highly toxic chemicals in the US state of Ohio, a devastating environmental catastrophe may now be imminent. The wagons burned for days, and a "controlled" explosion by the authorities released dangerous gases into the environment.
WashingtonThe US President gave the order to shoot down China's "spy balloon". The balloon had caused US Secretary of State Blinken to cancel a trip to Beijing. In the meantime, a second balloon was sighted.
WashingtonOn January 19, 2023, the United States hit its debt ceiling of $31.4 trillion. The country faces a recession if it defaults on its debt, the US Treasury Secretary warned in an interview. Her warning underscored the danger of printing money.
Providence, Rhode IslandA striking statistic: young Americans are several times more likely to be injured by a gun in cities like Chicago and Philadelphia than they are while serving as a soldier in a foreign country.
Never before in human history has a person lost as much money in one year as Elon Musk did in 2022. The Tesla and Twitter boss lost $200 billion last year. However, with his remaining $137 billion, he is still the second richest person in the world.
More than a million households without electricity, thousands of canceled flights, temperatures in the double-digit minus range and already 41 fatalities: The US is being overwhelmed by an enormous cold wave.
WashingtonThe mega-speculator and "philanthropist" George Soros remains true to himself – he has been sponsoring anti-police left-wing groups with billions of dollars.
NassauHe is no longer sitting in his fancy penthouse, but in a cell in the Bahamas: Sam Bankman-Fried (30), founder of the crypto company FTX, is said to be responsible for the theft of 37 billion euros. An interesting fact is that media in the EU have so far kept this crime thriller almost completely secret.
WashingtonThe short message service Twitter massively influenced the US presidential election campaign two years ago in favor of the then candidate Joe Biden. The then incumbent Donald Trump ultimately lost the election. Internal e-mails that the new owner, Elon Musk, has now published on the short message service show how censorship worked on Twitter. The 51-year-old called it the “Twitter files”.
EdmontonThe newly elected Premier Danielle Smith of the province of Alberta in Canada has recently made several powerful statements against the globalist foundation World Economic Forum and its leader Klaus Schwab. She has also decided to cancel a strange consulting agreement that WEF had with the state.