Austria sees huge drop in asylum seekers
Asylum applications have plummeted in Austria reflecting the country's willingness to tackle the immigration problem head-on.
Published: November 18, 2017, 8:44 am
It was announced yesterday that applications have dropped by 43.3 percent in Austria, according to the Interior Ministry.
The number of claims for asylum is down to 21 130 so far this year, some 16 000 less than the 37 256 asylum seekers which had applied during the same period in 2016.
Not only are the number of applications down, but the number of deportations has risen dramatically too, up from 3 3 841 last year to 5 788 this year so far.
According to the Interior Ministry, deportations increased in the first three quarters to 50.7 percent. Voluntary departures declined by 16 percent, dropping from 4 868 to 4 089.
Minister of the Interior Wolfgang Sobotka, a member of Kurz’ party, was above all satisfied with the development of deportations. “Every case of asylum in Austria is examined individually, at several instances and independently, so it is clear that people without a right to stay have to leave our country, and consequently we will continue to force them out” Sobotka said on Wednesday.
The upper limit of 35 000 asylum applicants laid down by the Federal Government should thus be significantly undercut this year, the Ministry noted.
The news comes after an election campaign focusing om immigration. Austria’s new chancellor, Sebastian Kurz, as well as the party he is expected to enter into coalition with, the Freedom Party, had both vowed to cut mass immigration.
The two parties likely to form the next federal coalition government have Friday revealed their plans to toughen asylum laws.
Sebastian Kurz and Heinz-Christian Strache, spoke at a media briefing to explain their proposals that include a shift away from individual housing for asylum seekers and reducing the overall length of time for asylum application procedures.
In addition, cash handouts will be reduced, and non-cash benefits will rather be made available. Approved asylum cases will also no longer be eligible for citizenship after six years, but will instead have to wait 10 years like other migrants.
Both parties have vowed to increase the rate of deportations, particularly for asylum seekers who commit crimes on Austrian soil.
As FWM had reported earlier, Austria threatened to close its borders with Italy, with the Defence Minister saying the military would be “indispensable” if the flow of migrants from Italy continued.
Also, the Austrian army on 07 December 2015 began constructing a fence along the border with Slovenia, which was designed to control thousands of migrants.
The fence is 2.2 metres high and runs for some 4 kilometres left and right of the border crossing at the town of Spielfeld, police spokesman Leo Josefus said at the time.
All rights reserved. You have permission to quote freely from the articles provided that the source (www.freewestmedia.com) is given. Photos may not be used without our consent.
Consider donating to support our work
Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.
Keep your language polite. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in, for example, Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.
If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violations of any law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.
If your comments are subject to preview by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.
We reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.
MadridSpain's health ministry has announced 838 Covid-19 deaths, the country's highest daily increase in fatalities, bringing the total to 6 528.
MoscowPresident Vladimir Putin donned a yellow hazmat suit to explain to the public the emergency measures taken by the Russian government.
RomeAfter a few days of decline, the number of new cases in Italy have increased again. Wednesday's rise in the number of dead were 683, while on Tuesday the rise was 743. The number of confirmed cases in the US has however surpassed China and Italy to become the largest outbreak in the world.
MoscowEurope currently appears to be drowning in chaos and dysfunction when it comes to the fight against the Coronavirus. But how is Russia handling the challenge right now?
RomeIt will no longer be possible to disinfect hospitals, ambulances, public transport and schools. The League has urged the EU to step in. "The government and Europe must intervene as soon as possible."
ParisWhile drastic containment measures came into effect on March 17 at noon in France, carelessness and incivility persist in the immigrant districts of Paris. The police dispatched on the spot are exasperated with the inhabitants.
A virologist twice nominated for the Nobel Prize explains the British strategy of "herd immunity" claiming it may have a logical explanation, but is still too risky.
RomeIt seems that there are no more doubts since the data are clear: The mortality from Covid-19 is higher "for hypertensive patients, patients with cardiac arrhythmias, diabetics and patients with cardiovascular diseases".
RotterdamThe first drug capable of attacking and neutralizing the Coronavirus could be ready for experimentation after a group of Dutch researchers discovered an antibody.
BrusselsIn the teleconference between the 27 health ministers, Italy raised the alarm. But none of the "allies" responded.