Skip to Content

Stock photo from Pixabay

Rubbish dump collapse kills 17 Africans

Seventeen people have been killed and many more are feared dead, after heavy rains caused the partial collapse of a rubbish dump in Mozambique.

Published: February 21, 2018, 1:38 pm

    Read more

    The mountain of waste had reached the height of a three-story building, according to Portuguese news agency Lusa.

    The 15-metre high dump collapsed, destroying seven houses, and rescuers fear more bodies may be buried under waste at the Hulene landfill, just outside the capital, Maputo.

    Scavengers living close to the site have fled fearing another collapse of the only official dump for Maputo’s 3.5 million people.

    Despedida Rita, a councillor for Ka Mavota Municipal District, confirmed the deaths.

    Nearly 55 percent of Mozambique’s population – about 14 million people – live in total poverty, according to the United Nations Development Programme. Many of them in the country’s capital rely on the rubbish dump to survive. The Hulene dump is located in a densely populated neighbourhood.

    In Ethiopia’s largest rubbish dump collapse last year, the lives of at least 65 people were lost.

    As in Ethiopia, the dead in the Maputo collapse could include those squatting near the landfill site to search for food and items to sell.

    A spokesman for the emergency services, Leonilde Pelembe, said more victims have been buried under the waste. “The information we received from local authorities is that the number of people living in those houses exceeds the number of deaths recorded,” Pelembe said.

    The Hulene district of Maputo is one of the poorest parts of the capital. Maria Huo, a resident, told AFP that authorities had failed to introduce safety.

    “It’s been more than 10 years that the dump should have been closed because it’s full, but they still continue to pile trash on the trash. The consequence is this,” Teresa Mangue, spokesperson for the residents, said.

    Consider donating to support our work

    Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Africa

    Erdogan’s Africa Corps

    The Turkish Parliament adopted a motion at an emergency session on January 2, authorising the government to send Turkish troops to Libya for one year.

    Two Tu-160 ‘White Swans’ create a stir in Pretoria

    PretoriaOn Wednesday 23 October, two Russian strategic Tupolev Tu-160 bombers arrived in South Africa after a record flight of more than 11 000 kilometers that lasted over 13 hours.

    South Africa: ANC continues to ignore farm murders

    PretoriaIt is a staggering statistic but the South African government insists that it is not happening: During September 2019, there were forty-six farm attacks and seven farm murders, whilst one farm attack was averted.

    Mugabe’s bloody reign of terror in Zimbabwe

    Robert Mugabe died in a hospital in Singapore on Friday, according to sources. He was surrounded by family including his wife, Grace. He had been receiving treatment in Singapore since April.

    South African State Pathologist found guilty of stealing body parts

    JohannesburgA black South African State Forensic Pathologist was found guilty of stealing body parts of a white woman from a mortuary.

    Countdown to land grab: South African farmers under siege

    PretoriaThe country's radical left-wing and anti-white government is intent on confiscating land belonging to white farmers — without compensation. The process of state-sanctioned land grab was given further momentum when another parliamentary motion was passed on Thursday.

    WHO: Ebola outbreak now a ‘global health emergency’

    The World Health Organisation says it is time for the world to take notice of this epidemic. A global health emergency has only been declared four times in the past.

    Two farm attacks within 24 hours in South Africa

    An elderly white couple was attacked on their farm on 6 July 2019, at 15:30, in Bokfontein, North West Province. They were violently assaulted and only strategic items were taken.

    Raped Eastern-Cape woman: Was I a ‘settler who had to be killed’?

    Political rhetoric and feelings of racial revenge fuel the horrific violence in South Africa, including violence against women and children. The story of Nicky, a white farmer's wife raped by a black attacker, has shocked the country and the world.

    Friend of victim says Stellenbosch farm murder was a hit job

    StellenboschStefan Smit (62), owner of the wine farm Louiesenhof in Stellenbosch, was shot and killed in his house last week in the latest farm attack. A friend of Smit believes that the murder was a hit job.

    Go to archive