Skip to Content

Migrants, Czech leader Andrej Babis. Photo supplied
Prague

Czech president calls latest EU migrant plan ‘road to hell’

The Czech Republic does not want any of the 450 migrants rescued from a migrant vessel in the Mediterranean on Saturday, and neither does Italy. The Czech president called the EU's latest shared responsibility plan "a road to hell".

Published: July 16, 2018, 9:52 am

    Read more

    Germany, France and Malta have agreed take in 50 migrants each, but the Czech Republic – part of the Visegrad Four – has refused. Italy does not want to allow the 450 migrants into the country either. It is the first test of the EU’s new policy to share burden of rescued migrants.

    Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babis tweeted that the EU’s contingency plan was a “road to hell”. He said on Twitter: “I received a copy of the letter from Prime Minister Contes, together with the other EU premieres, to the President of the European Council, Tusk and the European Commission Juncker, where the Italian Prime Minister is asking the EU to take care of the 450 people currently on the seas. Such an approach is the road to hell.

    “It only motivates smugglers and increases their income. Our countries will not accept any migrants. At the European Council, we have applied the principle of volunteering for relocation, and we will stick to it.

    “The only solution to the migration crisis is the Australian model, not to allow the landing of migrants in Europe and the return of the ships from which they emerge. We must send a clear signal that illegal migration has ended and that the European Union is ready to return illegal migrants immediately.”

    Babis added: “We must help migrants in the countries from where they come, outside the borders of Europe, so that they can not go on their journey at all. There is no solution to accepting people, on the contrary it increases the problem that we have in Europe.”

    The EU came up with the new plan last month after Italy’s refusal to accept the Aquarius to dock in its ports. Malta too, has refused, and the vessel was eventually invited by Spain to dock in Valencia.

    A German government spokeswoman on Sunday said: “Germany is ready to accept 50 people in this case.” Malta had initially rejected mounted pressure to open its borders, but later said it would accept 50 migrants too.

    Italy’s Interior Minister Matteo Salvini, who is leading a high-profile campaign to ban human trafficking rescue ships from Italian ports, said on Saturday that the migrants could be sent back to Libya. But the United Nations and EU have ruled that Libya is not safe, and according to international law, migrants cannot be returned to a place where their lives are in danger.

    The boat carrying the contested 450 migrants, is now in Maltese-competence waters. Salvini said on Friday “a boat with 450 clandestines aboard has since this morning been in waters under the competence of Malta, which has said it will intervene. A few hours later, however, no one has moved and the boat has started heading for Italy again.

    “Let Malta, the migrant smugglers and the do-gooders of all of Italy and all the world know that this boat cannot and must not arrive in an Italian port. We’ve already done our bit, understood?”

    He said: “I’m interior minister and I will do my utmost to defend the security of Italians, what I am doing is blocking departures, landings and deaths.”

    Meanwhile, the crew of the Vos Thalassa, an oil-rig tug felt “seriously threatened” by the reaction of migrants when they were told they being taken back to Libya, sources at the Trapani prosecutor’s office said on Friday. The captain reportedly told prosecutors the migrants had surrounded the crew shouting “no Libya, Libya, yes Italy”.

    As well as surrounding the crew, they allegedly “attacked” the first mate, sources said. The captain got in touch with the Rome port commander’s office, and authorities sent coast guard vessel Diciotti to offload the migrants.

    The first questioning of the 67 migrants will take place this week, sources said. But Salvini has been sceptical of the alleged “facts” surrounding the decision to dock at an Italian harbour after the “attack”.

    Some of the migrants told a UNICEF official on Friday that they were afraid of being returned to Libya but did not attack anyone on board the Vos Thalassa oilrig tug that had picked them up, contrary to reports.

    “We didn’t attack anyone, there was 5-10 minutes of great confusion and fear, but we didn’t want to hurt anyone,” they told Italo-Egyptian UNICEF/Intersos officer Sahar Ibrahim on board the Diciotti.

    “We didn’t want to go back to Libya: we were ready to dive into the sea and risk our lives rather than being returned to land”.

    Consider donating to support our work

    Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Europe

    Are hydrochloroquin and azithromycin the cure Covid-19?

    According to Dr Jeff Colyer, the former governor of Kansas who is a practicing physician, the combination of hydroxychloroquine and ,is continuing to show "promising" results in Coronavirus patients.

    Nine major European hospitals now require assistance

    "We will soon be short of important drugs" in the fight against the new Coronavirus, Europe's largest hospital warned in a letter to its respective governments.

    Spain announces highest daily increase in Covid-19 deaths

    MadridSpain's health ministry has announced 838 Covid-19 deaths, the country's highest daily increase in fatalities, bringing the total to 6 528.

    Putin bravely dons hazmat suit to visit Covid-19 patients in Moscow

    MoscowPresident Vladimir Putin donned a yellow hazmat suit to explain to the public the emergency measures taken by the Russian government.

    Italian infections on the rise again despite curfews

    RomeAfter a few days of decline, the number of new cases in Italy have increased again. Wednesday's rise in the number of dead were 683, while on Tuesday the rise was 743. The number of confirmed cases in the US has however surpassed China and Italy to become the largest outbreak in the world.

    How the East fights against the Coronavirus

    MoscowEurope currently appears to be drowning in chaos and dysfunction when it comes to the fight against the Coronavirus. But how is Russia handling the challenge right now?

    Italy faces new emergency as it runs out of disinfectants

    RomeIt will no longer be possible to disinfect hospitals, ambulances, public transport and schools. The League has urged the EU to step in. "The government and Europe must intervene as soon as possible."

    Immigrants revolt against confinement in France, Germany

    ParisWhile drastic containment measures came into effect on March 17 at noon in France, carelessness and incivility persist in the immigrant districts of Paris. The police dispatched on the spot are exasperated with the inhabitants.

    Famous virologist explains risky ‘logic’ of herd immunity

    A virologist twice nominated for the Nobel Prize explains the British strategy of "herd immunity" claiming it may have a logical explanation, but is still too risky.

    Italian specialist: Three diseases that invite risk faced with the Coronavirus

    RomeIt seems that there are no more doubts since the data are clear: The mortality from Covid-19 is higher "for hypertensive patients, patients with cardiac arrhythmias, diabetics and patients with cardiovascular diseases".

    Go to archive