Skip to Content

Karl Nehammer. Wikipedia

Austria’s interior minister refuses migrant redistribution

Austrian Interior Minister Karl Nehammer (ÖVP) has confirmed Austria's refusal to redistribute migrants to the EU member states. Looking at the situation on the Greek islands, Nehammer spoke out against it at a meeting of EU interior ministers in Zagreb.

Published: January 25, 2020, 11:43 am

    Read more

    Zagreb

    According to the AFP news agency, Nehammer said: “More and more people are coming. More and more are making their way across the Mediterranean and more and more people are drowning. We have to keep our line very consistently.”

    This line must be “to fight the fight against illegal migration and against smuggling”. It was wrong “that people should be brought from Greece to the mainland, because this will lead to the organised crime of trafficking that will bring more people to the islands,” said Nehammer. Most of the migrants are economic refugees anyway, he added. Sea rescue should not mean a ticket to Europe.

    Criticism against the Austrian position came from the German Federal Interior Minister Horst Seehofer (CSU). He appealed to “European solidarity” in the distribution of migrants. If this does not succeed, the process will be disorderly, “with all the risks that arise if you lose control – we have all experienced this, including the Austrians”.

    Nehammer had previously said that Austria would withdraw from the EU resettlement programme. “We will report to the EU Commission that we are not taking people,” said Nehammer via a spokeswoman. According to the EU Commission, Austria agreed to accept 229 migrants last June.

    “As a small country, Austria, we are already making a disproportionately large contribution,” Nehammer said to justify the attitude of his government. Through the resettlement programme, Brussels plans to bring 30 000 people out of crisis-hit countries and resettle them in Europe.

    For each person admitted, a country receives 10 000 euros from the Commission. In addition, at the beginning of the week, Nehammer announced “borderline” asylum centers in the east and south of the Alpine Republic.

    Unlike Austria, Germany announced that it would again accept immigrants in 2020 through the resettlement program.

    The German Federal Government had guaranteed the admission of 10 200 migrants for 2018 and 2019. There are already 5 500 in 2020.

    Meanwhile, the migrant aid organisations SOS Méditerranée and Doctors Without Borders again picked up almost 100 migrants off the coast of Libya on Friday night. As the organisations announced on the short message service Twitter, the 92 people included mothers with their small children and pregnant women.

    They were brought to the Ocean Viking from a crowded inflatable boat off the Libyan coast. Just a few days ago, the ship, which is operated jointly by the two aid organisations, had taken in almost 40 immigrants and brought them to the Sicilian city of Pozzallo. Where the ship is heading to is still unclear.

    As the Italian daily Il Giornale reported, the number of migrants who came to Italy via the Mediterranean rose sharply in the first weeks of this year. From 1 to 23 January 2020, 774 migrants were registered. In the same period in 2019, the authorities counted 155 people.

    In the past few months, Germany had also taken in hundreds of Mediterranean migrants. Federal Interior Minister Seehofer (CSU) had pledged last year to bring such immigrants directly from Italy to Germany.

    According to data from the German Ministry of the Interior, according to the dpa news agency, the Federal Government brought 401 asylum seekers to Germany who came to Europe via the central Mediterranean route. Berlin has agreed to admit another 249 people in Italy and Malta, but has not yet done so.

    Consider donating to support our work

    Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    • LuciusAnnaeusSeneca

      Nehammer is right to not only reject any further migrants but to question the EU “distribution” system. His Interior Ministry is continuing the anti-mass migration measures promulgated under his predecessor Herbert Kickl under the previous Kurz government, and which were designed to ensure Austria not only closed the door to non-European illegal migrants, but also made the country as difficult as possible for illegals to stay and attempt to establish a parallel society as they are doing in Germany and other western European EU countries.

      It is interesting that Nehammer’s remarks were made at a meeting of EU Interior Ministers at Zagreb. Croatia is on the front line of the EU, and for several years has blocked efforts by the proponents of mass migration, and the organized criminal elements that profit from it, to move migrants on the “mosque route” through Bosnia into the EU via Croatia and Slovenia. The Croatian border with Bosnia has been blocked in the Bihac area, stranding migrants there for two consecutive winters now and clogging up the migrant routes. Some are still getting through, but only by bypassing central and northwestern Bosnia. Croatia’s border police and security forces have been doing yeoman service defending Europe, despite their limited numbers and resources.

    Europe

    Dutch government report: Nothing can be done about immigration

    The HagueCan anything be done about immigration policy in the Netherlands? The answer to this question was found in the policy directive sent on July 3 from the ministry to the Tweede Kamer.

    Erdogan turns Christian landmark Hagia Sophia into mosque

    IstanbulThe first call to Muslim prayer from inside Hagia Sophia will once again be heard after over eight decades.  The historic house of worship located in Istanbul, has served as a Greek Orthodox Christian patriarchal cathedral, a Roman Catholic cathedral, an Ottoman mosque, and a secular museum. As of July 2020 the site has been reclassified as a mosque by the President of Turkey.

    Migrant sexually assaults a leftist political icon in Cologne

    CologneIt happened in broad daylight, in the middle of "colourful", cosmopolitan, multi-cultural Cologne. Cologne’s assistant mayor Elfi Scho-Antwerpes (67) was confronted with the harsh reality of a society that lacks universally accepted values. The well-known politician from Cologne quickly called... the police.

    Immigrants suspected of deadly assault on bus driver in France

    BayonneFour "youths" that boarded a bus in Bayonne, France, without tickets and without masks violently attacked a bus driver on Sunday. The driver was left brain dead. Yet another sad story totally ignored by the system media that illustrates the impoverishment of French society as a result of "diversity".

    New French Justice Minister wants Le Pen’s party banned

    ParisThe big surprise of the new French administration after a reshuffle, is the appointment of the very mediatic lawyer at the Ministry of Justice, Éric Dupond-Moretti.

    Turkey’s intervention in Libya: Erdogan sends ministers, lobbies for murderers

    TripoliThese days Turkey is vying for the title of top thug in both Europe and Northern Africa. Apart from the “spy scandal” with France, Turkey has been meddling directly in the Libyan conflict in a profoundly comprehensive and controversial way, deepening existing tensions.

    US intensifies pressure on Germany over Nord Stream 2

    BerlinThe US is disrupting free trade and has imposed extraterritorial sanctions to try to stop the flow of energy on the world market, says Dr. Bruno Bandulet, former editor at German daily Die Welt.

    Germany’s female leaders disband elite special forces unit

    BerlinThe German government - Chancellor Angela Merkel, Defense Minister Kramp-Karrenbauer and Agnieszka Brugger, a Green MP on the Parliament’s Defense Committee - has moved to disband an elite soldier unit.

    Polish presidential elections: ‘We don’t like either…’

    WarsawJanusz Korwin-Mikke is one of the most controversial elder statesman, former member of the European Parliament and a politician in Poland. FWM spoke with him exclusively about the presidential elections being held in his country.

    Vox party rally to defend Colombus statue in Barcelona

    BarcelonaSome 150 Vox party supporters gathered on Saturday to protect the statue of Christopher Columbus in Barcelona.

    Go to archive