Skip to Content

Avangard graphic, RU-RTR Russian Television. Photo supplied
Moscow

Fear of MAD has restored US-Russia parity

An array of new nukes was announced in March this year by Russian President Vladimir Putin, who has called for a return to strategic parity between the US and Soviet Union to counter World War III hawks.

Published: December 31, 2018, 5:32 am

    Read more

    “The fear of mutually assured destruction has always restrained and forced military powers to respect each other,” he said at the time. “Our efforts in the development of new weapons will preserve this parity,” he said.

    Last week, the Russian defense ministry announced the final successful test of the Avangard hypersonic glider. The weapon will be deployed in 2019, President Putin said.

    A hypersonic glider extends the range of a missile, while potentially increasing accuracy. Because prolonged controlled flight generally requires special protection from heat and shock produced at hypersonic speeds, other nations have struggled with the technology.

    The Avangard system is designed using new composite materials to withstand temperatures of up to 2000 degrees Celsius typically encountered at ultra-high speeds.

    According to Business Insider, “perhaps more than any other country, Russia has the nuclear capability to end the world” with about 7 000 nuclear weapons.“ The first missile regiment armed with Avangard-tipped Yars missiles will be deployed in 2019.

    This month, Putin told the Russian Cabinet: “The test [of the Avangard] was finished just now in a complete success. All its specifications were confirmed.” Avangard is one of five new Russian high-performance nuclear weapon systems developed in response to the US anti-ballistic missile advances.

    In Syria, the transfer of Russian weapons to the Syrian Arab Army, particularly the S-300 missiles and radars coordinated by the automated command and control system Polyana D4M1, certainly changed the balance of forces in the region.

    After two S-300 rocket missiles were deployed in Deir Ezzor, in eastern Syria, the intensity of the US-led coalition flights decreased by 80 percent over the area, says Valentin Vasilescu. “Since 18 September 2018, the Israeli Air Force has not carried out any more raids in Syria’s airspace,” he added.

    The presence of Russian technology resulted in the US military presence becoming counter-productive, as US aviation could no longer continue without the risk of losing aircraft.

    Trump has become aware of US’s vulnerability in conducting permanent wars. His recent tweet that the $717 billion US defense budget is “obscene”, is a reminder of that.

    Neocons have built their power on the widespread false belief that the United States is the sole superpower, to maintain global order. The post-9/11 Global War on Terror in fact served as the driving force for US foreign and national security policy for almost two decades.

    By withdrawing from Syria, the US tacitly admitted that after straight eight years of fighting and tens of thousands of Islamist mercenaries sacrificed, the dream of destroying Syria’s state structures has failed.

    Russia successively refused to reveal the security codes for the missiles delivered to Syria to both the US and Israel. Moscow has thus declined the sharing of control of Syria which it had accepted during the first Geneva Conference in 2012, because Washington had violated the deal only a few weeks later.

    According to Vasilescu, a delegation from the Israeli army, led by General Major Aharon Haliva, Head of IDF Operations, rushed to Moscow to convince Major General Vasily Trushin, the Joint Chief of Operations of the Russian Army to give Israel the codes – in vain. Relations between the two countries had soured after the destruction of the Russian IL-20 airplane during by an Israeli F-16.

    Because the US presence in Syria is illegal in terms of International Law, Syria is able to legitimately act in self-defence against coalition attacks.

    On December 25, an Israeli air attack on Syrian military installations was repelled. The Israeli jets attacked from Lebanese air space, hiding behind two commercial airliners which were on their way from the Gulf to Europe.

    By doing so, Syrian air defense could not directly attack the Israeli jets, but most of the Israeli bombs were destroyed by the Syrian short-range air defenses, the SAA reported.

    It appears that any further attacks on Syria will be futile and will only lead to firm retaliation.

    Last week, the United Arab Emirates reopened its embassy in Damascus, while Bahrain will follow soon. Kuwait announced that it will reopen its embassy in January. Oman never closed its embassy in Damascus.

    Flights to Damascus from Arab countries have been restored, and a direct connection to Tunisia was revived. In January Gulf-Air, the official airline carrier for Bahrain, will again offer flights from Damascus.

    Of the Gulf countries only Qatar, allied with Turkey, and Saudi Arabia have yet to restore relations with Syria.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Europe

    Nigerians terrorize Italian city

    PaduaThe Nigerian mafia has been busy in the Italian city of Padua. In less than 24 hours there were two violent episodes in the city center, and as always on via Diego Valeri.

    France: 41 percent ‘ignore’ news

    A survey carried out for a newspaper shows a growing distrust of the French towards the media.

    Gang rapes: Number of foreign suspects in Germany increasing

    BerlinThe proportion of foreign suspects in gang rapes in Germany has increased significantly in the past five years. This is despite the fact that the total number of suspects decreased between 2015 and 2017.

    Candidate recruits people of  ‘Turkish origin’ for French municipal elections

    Given the extent of the controversy, Mohamed Dine has now deleted his ad, previously posted on his Facebook page.

    Charlie Hebdo also defended pedophilia

    ParisLike part of the libertarian left at the time, the satirical newspaper supported three pedophile criminals, accused of having abused minors, before they were sentenced in 1977.

    Conservative German author’s reading cancelled in Dresden

    DresdenGerman author Uwe Tellkamp had his reading cancelled. It was not because of a lack of public interest, illness of the organiser or an important participant, or official orders for violations of the fire protection regulations. No, it had to be canceled because the author has a certain opinion.

    Pedophile personalities shake up French literary scene

    ParisThe French writer Gabriel Matzneff who has been accused by the novelist Vanessa Springora of pedophilia, benefits from low-cost housing in the heart of Paris which was allocated to him in 1994. Some other sordid facts about him and his friends have resurfaced.

    AfD sues German domestic spy agency over tracking

    BerlinThe AfD intends to take legal action against the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution, the domestic spy agency.

    Dispute over German broadcaster’s “environmental pig” song continues

    CologneSeveral editors from German public broadcaster WDR have accused director Tom Buhrow of harming the broadcaster with the so-called "environmental pig" affair. On Tuesday there will therefore be an editorial meeting in which Buhrow will also take part.

    Cars in flames all over France at the start of the New Year

    The car-burnings in France continue. There were burnt cars in Strasbourg, Bordeaux, Limoges, Nantes and other cities.

    Go to archive