Skip to Content

Blue sea; Matteo Salvini. Photo FWM
Rome

Prosecutors launch new legal assault on Salvini

After the Diciotti case, another legal assault is being launched against Matteo Salvini. Salvini faced between three and five years in prison for having stopped illegal migrants from the vessel landing in Italy.

Published: September 22, 2019, 11:42 am

    Read more

    “I am not afraid, I will still defend the Italian borders,” Salvini said in response to the latest attack.

    “Saturday afternoon, at home with the kids doing homework and watching cartoons, they ring at the door and give you a sealed envelope that comes from the Catania prosecutor’s office …”

    Salvini described his surprise at the latest legal battle he will be facing. Thus the former chief of the Interior Ministry presented the new “letter” that was delivered to his home.

    According to the Catania Public Prosecutor, Salvini is under investigation for “kidnapping” the Gregoretti. The file was opened at the end of July by the Syracuse prosecutor’s office against unknown persons.

    The Coast Guard ship had remained for a few days in the harbor of Catania, carrying 121 of the 131 migrants rescued at sea. The commander of the ship was heard by the Public Prosecutor of Syracuse.

    Later, the documents were transferred from Syracuse to Catania for the crime of “kidnapping” with possible ministerial level responsibilities. So, in Catania, the prosecutor Andrea Bonomo has registered the file against a known person, that is, Matteo Salvini.

    The case of the Gregoretti is similar to that of the Diciotti vessel a year ago. The mooring of the Gregoretti Coast Guard patrol boat was stopped by Salvini who has never changed his mind on the subject.

    It has always been very clear and at the time he had declared: “I will not give any permission to disembark until Europe reaches the concrete commitment to welcome all immigrants on board of the ship.”

    The Gregoretti had taken on board 50 migrants who had been rescued by the fishing boat Accursio Giarratano and another 91 rescued by a patrol of the Guardia di Finanza. In the following days, a woman was sent to the port of Catania in her eighth month of pregnancy together with her family consisting of a husband and two small children.

    And in Augusta, at the NATO dock, 16 people who declared themselves minors (among the 15 and 17 years) were allowed to disembark. It was later discovered that most were not minors.

    Salvini remains unfazed however. “Defending my children, my country was and is part of my job and cultural baggage,” he said live on Facebook.

    “Should the process be required I am ready for everything and everyone. Meanwhile, in these hours the landings will continue. In September it has increased by 30 percent compared to last year over the same period.”

    He said not only Conte, but “Macron and Merkel are happy, Brussels is happy, but Sicily and the rest of Italy are not happy”. Salvini added: “The smugglers are happy that with the money they can buy themselves weapons and drugs. And [Secretary of the Democratic Party, Nicola] Zingaretti, [Prime Minister Giuseppe] Conte and the others are there to fornicate.”

    In the letter, the deputy public prosecutor of Catania announces the criminal proceedings registered against Salvini on September 7 for crimes committed in Augusta between 27 to 31 July, signalling 8 years in prison. But because it is a repeat offense, the former minister risks 15 years behind bars.

    In the Diciotti case, Sicilian prosecutors opened an investigation into the former Interior Minister for suspected “illegal confinement, illegal arrest and abuse of power”, only to recommend in November that the case be dropped.

    Later, however, a special tribunal in Catania overturned that recommendation, ruling that Salvini could indeed stand trial. The stand-off over the Diciotti ended only after the Catholic Church had brokered a deal with Ireland and Albania to take the migrants in.

    Meanwhile, in a BBC Hardtalk interview with Sea Watch skipper Rakete, the NGO’s own data on deaths at sea, highlighted that her position was untenable: Arrivals to Italy by sea fell by 84 percent compared to 2018 and 97 percent compared to 2017.

    Salvini with his strong position against migrant landings had therefore assured that thousands of people who would have attempted the crossing by putting themselves at risk, do not do it anymore. Only one migrant has died at sea in 2019. This is a fact that the “captain” could not refute.

    Rakete is under investigation for aiding illegal immigration and violating article 1099 of the navigation code for not obeying the order of an Italian national warship.

    On Friday Salvini said that the Italian president should be elected directly by the people. The president, who acts as the guardian of the Constitution and as the political system’s referee, is currently elected by parliament. “The PD (Democratic Party) have already taken the last three presidents for themselves,” Salvini said.

    “I think that, if not in 2022, then in 2029 the head of State could be elected directly by the citizens”. Salvini, whose party is current well ahead in the polls, said that he was confident that he would have the necessary votes in parliament in the future to carry out this Constitutional reform.

    He added that he does not think the current M5S-PD government will last until 2022, when President Sergio Mattarella’s successor will be elected. Salvini also said that when he next returns to government he will sell off a chunk of State broadcaster RAI.

    Consider donating to support our work

    Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Europe

    Epidemiologist rips ‘increasingly burdensome verification’

    MarseilleIn an interview with a French newspaper, the director of the Marseille University Hospital Institute (IHU), Professor Didier Raoult, defended the effectiveness of chloroquine and said further studies on the drug were just a waste of time.

    Nine major European hospitals now require assistance

    "We will soon be short of important drugs" in the fight against the new Coronavirus, Europe's largest hospital warned in a letter to its respective governments.

    Spain announces highest daily increase in Covid-19 deaths

    MadridSpain's health ministry has announced 838 Covid-19 deaths, the country's highest daily increase in fatalities, bringing the total to 6 528.

    Putin bravely dons hazmat suit to visit Covid-19 patients in Moscow

    MoscowPresident Vladimir Putin donned a yellow hazmat suit to explain to the public the emergency measures taken by the Russian government.

    Italian infections on the rise again despite curfews

    RomeAfter a few days of decline, the number of new cases in Italy have increased again. Wednesday's rise in the number of dead were 683, while on Tuesday the rise was 743. The number of confirmed cases in the US has however surpassed China and Italy to become the largest outbreak in the world.

    How the East fights against the Coronavirus

    MoscowEurope currently appears to be drowning in chaos and dysfunction when it comes to the fight against the Coronavirus. But how is Russia handling the challenge right now?

    Italy faces new emergency as it runs out of disinfectants

    RomeIt will no longer be possible to disinfect hospitals, ambulances, public transport and schools. The League has urged the EU to step in. "The government and Europe must intervene as soon as possible."

    Immigrants revolt against confinement in France, Germany

    ParisWhile drastic containment measures came into effect on March 17 at noon in France, carelessness and incivility persist in the immigrant districts of Paris. The police dispatched on the spot are exasperated with the inhabitants.

    Famous virologist explains risky ‘logic’ of herd immunity

    A virologist twice nominated for the Nobel Prize explains the British strategy of "herd immunity" claiming it may have a logical explanation, but is still too risky.

    Italian specialist: Three diseases that invite risk faced with the Coronavirus

    RomeIt seems that there are no more doubts since the data are clear: The mortality from Covid-19 is higher "for hypertensive patients, patients with cardiac arrhythmias, diabetics and patients with cardiovascular diseases".

    Go to archive