Salvini: No presumption of innocence for drug dealers
Opposition League leader Matteo Salvini said he would not uphold the presumption of innocence for drug-related crimes.
Published: January 26, 2020, 7:47 am
On Friday, following his heavily publicized anti-drug campaign in the Emilian capital Bologna, Salvini spoke to public broadcaster Rai3’s Agorà programme. The anti-immigration former interior minister said: “I am not a guarantist against drugs, it is death”.
Salvini rang the doorbell of a Tunisian family in Bologna in the presence of journalists and camera crews earlier this week, asking if a drug pusher was living there.
“If this young man will not be deemed a drug pusher he will have my apologies”, said Salvini who was led to the flat by a local mother of a dead addict who told him a pusher allegedly lived there. “Drugs are sold in that building – full stop”.
“I don’t go arrest people. But I am happy that Italy knows there is drug trafficking there”.
In response, Tunisia’s ambassador to Italy on Wednesday said Salvini was guilty of “deplorable provocation”. Ambassador Moez Sinaoui told ANSA he had written to Senate Speaker Maria Elisebetta Casellati to complain about Senator Salvini’s “regrettable” behavior, which he said had shown “a lack of respect for the private abode of a Tunisian family” and had been “divulged in an ostentatious way to public opinion”.
Salvini has been campaigning heavily in Emilia-Romagna, the region around Bologna which elects a new government and governor on Sunday. Currently in Emilia-Romagna opinion polls, the Democratic Party’s incumbent governor Stefano Bonaccini is slightly ahead of the center-right candidate, League party member Lucia Borgonzoni.
“Richiedente asilo” semina il panico per strada prendendo a calci le macchine! Evviva i “porti aperti”…! pic.twitter.com/czD4ma02Dv
— Matteo Salvini (@matteosalvinimi) January 25, 2020
He tweeted a video of an asylum seeker kicking cars, while dryly remarking that this was the result of open ports.
More threats and insults were meanwhile directed against young League militants this past week: “Fascist of shit, racists!” After League members had set up an information gazebo in the center of Florence, two militants of the League were attacked and insulted by some activists of the CPA social center.
“Suddenly a small group of four or five young people linked to antagonistic circles arrived and started insulting and threatening our boys,” said Daniele Belotti, commissioner of the League in Tuscany.
The police intervened immediately and blocked the attackers, said Belotti, explaining that two police vans in riot gear also arrived at the site. And so, to avoid further attacks, law enforcement officers moved the gazebo “to a safer place”.
According to information, the CPA activists, heading for a demonstration in favor of Kurdish people in the city, accidentally crossed paths with the Northern League gazebo.
The youth coordinator, Manfredi Ruggiero, and a 17-year-old student were in the gazebo. He said they weren’t hurting anyone, they just distributed flyers and for that they were threatened and insulted.
“I can only thank the police, although once again I shudder from the lack of democratic culture that Left-wing extremists in this country have,” he said.
“These are constant and repetitive episodes. Very often here in Tuscany the League members are victims of attacks. There have been several assaults in the last two months,” according to Belotti.
Regional councilor Jacopo Alberti, denounced the attack. “Attacking two boys who exercise their right to free speech is uncivilized and undemocratic. He said he would introduce “a motion in the regional council to ask for the closure of social centers, primarily abusive ones and outside all legality, useless places that only feed hatred”.
All rights reserved. You have permission to quote freely from the articles provided that the source (www.freewestmedia.com) is given. Photos may not be used without our consent.
Consider donating to support our work
Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.
Keep your language polite. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in, for example, Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.
If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violations of any law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.
If your comments are subject to preview by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.
We reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.
BordeauxAfter he was attacked and stripped of his belongings by an organised gang, a Bordeaux journalist gave a distraught view of his city, which he says he no longer recognizes. Residents report thefts and violent attacks on a daily basis. The mayor is worried about a "climate emergency" however.
BörlangeThe Somali taxi driver in the Swedish town of Borlänge who ran down a group of pedestrians recently, wanted to take revenge on his intended victim because the person had reported him for child molestation.
In May, the immigrant Bekim Dzelili was initially sentenced by the district court to 13 years in prison and deportation for life. He was found guilty of repeated aggravated child rape, the aggravated sexual abuse of a child, assault and unlawful threats. But the Swedish Court of Appeal has since reduced his prison sentence by one year and has canceled the deportation - the perpetrator may remain in Sweden because he has a "weak connection to his home country".
RomeImages of an illegal migrant landing that took place on 28 July on the most popular beach among shocked tourists and holiday makers, was broadcast by Italian CorriereTV. But the government is instead concerned about the politician who had tried to stop these illegal landings.
Sweden used to be a 'model society'. But no more.
MunichThe two large churches in Germany have drawn a positive interim assessment of the 2015 wave of migrants. Around half of those who came at the time are being trained or have jobs today, said the Council President of the Evangelical Church in Germany, Heinrich Bedford-Strohm.
IstanbulYesterday, the first official Islamic Friday prayer took place at the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul. The controversy of the re-conversion of the former Christian Orthodox cathedral into a mosque is also hotly being discussed in Europe.
StockholmOn July 20, Swedish TV4 interviewed criminologist Tage Alalehto, who in the segment says that one explanation for the increased number of stabbings in the country could be "ethnic, xenophobic moods". But that was not really what he had said on camera.
LyonSince the tragic death of the young French caregiver Axelle Dorier, ethnic tensions have redoubled in force on social networks.
BerlinAccording to media reports, four Bundeswehr soldiers of Turkish origin are suspected of being members of the extremist Turkish organisation Grey Wolves. They are also suspected of collaborating with the Turkish secret service MIT.