On Tuesday April 14, President Donald Trump announced the freezing of US financial support for the institution, reported CNN.
The WHO had been in the sights of US president for a week now. Trump said that the interruption of American contributions would remain in force until the conclusion of a “study to examine the role of WHO in the mismanagement and concealment of the spread of the coronavirus”.
“If WHO had done its job and sent medical experts to China to objectively study the situation on the ground, the epidemic could have been contained at its source with very few deaths,” said Trump.
The President had already fired a warning shot on April 7. “WHO receives huge sums of money from the United States. And we pay the majority, most of their money,” he said. “They actually criticized my travel ban [for foreigners from China, editor’s note] at the time I did. And they were wrong. They were wrong on many things. They had a lot of information early and they seem to be very focused on China. We have to look at that. So let’s take a look at it “, he also warned.
Richard Haass, president of US think tank, the Council on Foreign Relations, said in response the WHO’s “failures don’t explain our own poor performance”.