Lavrov: Russia has irrefutable proof that chemical attack was staged
Russian Foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, told his Dutch counterpart, Stef Blok, that Russia has obtained firm evidence that the incident in Douma, Syria on April 7 was staged by the intelligence services of a foreign state in order to launch a "Russophobic campaign".
Published: April 13, 2018, 5:44 pm
“We have the irrefutable data that this [chemical attack] was staged,” the minister stressed.
“And the special services of a state which is in the forefront of the Russophobic campaign had a hand in the staging,” Lavrov told Russian news agency TASS.
The Pentagon has admitted that they are still “looking for actual evidence” that the Syrian government was responsible for an alleged chemical attack. In the meantime, they relied on “social media” rumours.
Western governments blaming Russia repeat claims by jihadist rebel groups, anti-Russian activists and NGOs funded on their territory for information.
“God forbid something adventurous will be undertaken in Syria similar to the Libyan or Iraqi experience… I hope nobody dares to,” Lavrov warned.
It will unleash a fresh wave of migrants flooding into Europe, the foreign minister added. He suggested that Americans “are protected by an ocean” and are unconcerned about the aftermath of their decisions.
“The mission of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons [OPCW] has set off to Syria not so quickly and without abundant enthusiasm but under our and Syrian pressure. It is due to arrive in Damascus in the morning of April 14,” the Russian foreign minister explained.
The Russian Foreign Ministry has dismissed allegations against Syria of an chemical attack as fake news, while the Russian Defense Ministry questioned the trustworthyness of the White Helmets, notorious for spreading falsehoods.
“We expect the mission to go without any delay to Douma where Russian specialists who examined this place have not found any confirmations of the use of chemical weapons,” Lavrov said.
On April 10, Damascus sent an official invitation to the OPCW to launch an investigation in Eastern Ghouta. On the same day, OPCW Director-General Ahmet Uzumcu said the organization had made a decision to send its experts to Syria.
Britain meanwhile faces the total collapse not only of its constitutional safeguards but of any coherent policy after British Prime Minister Theresa May’s extraordinary decision to ignore the opinions of the British Parliament on the question of Syria.
In 2013, the British government confirmed that a convention had been established that Parliament be consulted before any decision was made to commit the British armed forces in cases where Britain itself was not under attack.
It was established following failed British armed interventions in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya, launched on false premises.
The British media is pushing May go to war without consulting Parliament, but risks of an attack on Syria are far greater than the previous wars.
Russia, a nuclear superpower has threatened to take counter-action against an attack and the Syrian air defence system is much more sophisticated than say that of Iraq or Libya.
May’s government fears that it does not have the support of Parliament, and might lose a vote on an attack on Syria. The lack of support for war is evident among voters.
A YouGov poll of The Times of London shows that only 22 percent of Britons support a strike on Syria, while a huge 43 percent are opposed and 34 percent are unsure.
The Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswomen also ripped into a German top diplomat, Foreign Minister Heiko Maas, claiming that the UN Security Council had faced “too many failures” over Russia’s use of a veto.
“Because of Russia’s veto, massacres in the Middle East and North Africa were deterred many times,” Russian spokeswoman Maria Zakharova responded. “We have already seen Western coalitions’ attempts to use force. They ended in failures,” she pointed out on Facebook.
“Germany and France seem to have abandoned sovereign foreign policy, pursuing the adventurous path set by their ‘big brother’ instead of following common sense,” Zakharova said. “But there were other times, when Moscow’s uncompromising stance and unwillingness to give into the test tube blackmail allowed Paris and Berlin to demonstrate prudence. Back then Europe was a solo artist, but now it has turned into a backup vocalist,” she noted with sarcasm.
— Liveuamap MiddleEast (@lummideast) April 13, 2018
All rights reserved. You have permission to quote freely from the articles provided that the source (www.freewestmedia.com) is given. Photos may not be used without our consent.
Keep your language polite. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in, for example, Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.
If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violations of any law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.
If your comments are subject to preview by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.
We reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.
WashingtonSaudi Arabia employs - through consultants - a host of retired American generals, diplomats, intelligence experts that get paid exorbitant amounts of money.
Saudi Arabia has been repeatedly accused of funding terrorism all over the world, including in Syria and Iran. Research by Edward Clifford in his book "Financing Terrorism: Saudi Arabia and Its Foreign Affairs", has shown the extent of Saudi support for terror.
MoscowThe Syrian army will be equipped with Russia S-300 air-defense missiles within the next two weeks following the downing of a Russian Ilyushin Il-20 aircraft in Syria, Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Monday.
A Russian military plane carrying 14 personnel over the Mediterranean has “disappeared from radar” Russia’s defence ministry announced. Israel staged this "provocation" the Russian side said.
James Jeffrey, the US State Department’s special representative for Syria, has spelled out the Trump administration’s policy towards Syria quite clearly.
The US Secretary of Defense, James Mattis, seems to lack some basic intelligence that the UN and the US Department of State have already seen.
US National Security Adviser John Bolton is reported to have told his Russian counterpart, Nikolai Patrushev, that the Syrian President, Bashar al-Assad is once again allegedly preparing to use chemical weapons against his own people.
JohannesburgThis year’s BRICS Summit created a stir when Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan made it clear that he wants to add a "T" to the acronym, making them the BRICTS.
The Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) confirmed that they had evacuated members of an unnamed local "civil organization at the request of the United States and some European countries" from southern Syria. CNN reported, citing sources on Monday, that White Helmets and their families were evacuated from Syria.
Syria's President Assad has accused three Western powers of orchestrating a "PR stunt" to give them a pretext to attack Syria.