ISIS retakes Palmyra after suffering defeat in Aleppo
ISIS has retaken the legendary city of Palmyra 200 kilometers to the southeast of Aleppo, from the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) on Sunday after assembling a massive jihadist fighting force in eastern Homs.
Published: December 12, 2016, 8:20 am
While the Syrian military is cleaning up Aleppo, after having taken a major district in the besieged city over the weekend, they have retreated from historic Palmyra.
Syrian officials told RadioFreeEurope that they had evacuated more than 80 percent of the citizens of Palmyra ahead of the withdrawal.
Recently, the SAA deployed the bulk of its elite factions in the battle for Aleppo. In the meantime, thousands of ISIS fighters had crossed the border from Iraq, narrowly escaping the battle for Mosul in a spearhead offensive to retake the ancient city Palmyra, Al Masdar News (AMN) reported.
In addition to capturing Palmyra city itself, the Islamic State also seized Palmyra Airbase, the Hayyan gas field, Al-Dawa village, and the Al-Bayarat area following other territorial gains over the past 48 hours, according to AMN.
Overpowered by sheer numbers, the local SAA commanders had to choose between a full-scale tactical retreat or leaving outnumbered government troops to be slaughtered by the rapidly advancing jihadist militants. In the face of the onslaught, SAA’s Palmyra command center opted for a retreat.
Some 5 000 Islamic State insurgents have now poured into Palmyra from several flanks, prompting the SAA withdrawal to the western outskirts of the city.
A thousand SAA soldiers, including contingents of the National Defence Forces (NDF), the 11th Division, elements of the 18th Division along with the Shaheen Group of the Tiger Forces had been stationed there.
“The group continued shelling the army positions inside Palmyra with mortars and heavy artillery for hours, causing large losses in the army ranks,” local media activist Abas al-Omar told ARA News.
“The army withdrew after the clashes reached the city centre and it became impossible for them to push ISIS back,” al-Omar reported, citing a military source within the Syrian army.
Syrian troops had liberated Palmyra from the destructive grip of ISIS on March 27 this year with assistance from the Russian Aerospace Force. Later on, Russian army engineers took part in the removal of mines from the city’s residential districts and from the unique monuments of antiquity the city is famous for.
Strategically Palmyra represents a potentially important government salient against besieged government soldiers in the eastern city of Deir Ezzor.
The latest assault on the world-renowned archeological sites of Palmyra may be part of the British government’s information warfare in Syria by funding media operations for some rebel fighting groups, as the Syrian opposition has suffered a heavy blow in Aleppo.
Contractors were hired by the British Foreign Office but overseen by the Ministry of Defence (MoD) effectively run a press office for Syrian opposition fighters, because deciding which factions to support has been “risky for the government”, the Guardian reported and therefore their role had to be concealed, the Guardian reported.
Through its Conflict and Stability Fund the British government has been spending 3 million euro on private contractors working from Istanbul to deliver “strategic communications and media operations support to the armed opposition”.
Palmyra is a world heritage site, In February 2015 the UN Security Council passed Resolution 2199, condemning the destruction of cultural heritage, while the Rome Statute of 1998, which established the International Criminal Court, allows for the destruction of cultural heritage to be prosecuted as a war crime.
All rights reserved. You have permission to quote freely from the articles provided that the source (www.freewestmedia.com) is given. Photos may not be used without our consent.
Consider donating to support our work
Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.
Keep your language polite. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in, for example, Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.
If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violations of any law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.
If your comments are subject to preview by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.
We reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.
TripoliAccording to President of the Russian Foundation for Protecting National Values Alexander Malkevich, Russian sociologists Maxim Shugaley and Samer Sueifan have finally been released after a long captivity in Libya. This information is confirmed by Mikhail Bogdanov, the Russian president's special representative for the Middle East and Africa and deputy foreign minister.
BeirutAfter the disaster that struck the Lebanese capital, Emmanuel Macron asked during his trip on Thursday for a “profound change” on the part of the leaders of Lebanon. He also met with a Hezbollah representative.
TripoliGeneral Khalifa Haftar's Libyan National Army (LNA) has finally eliminated Libya's Ansar al-Sharia terrorists affiliated with Al-Qaida.
On March 9, the spokesperson for the Libyan National Army (LNA) Command, General Ahmad Mismari, said that the Government of National Accord (GNA) forces had launched a large-scale offensive against LNA positions. Arab media have also confirmed this information.
BenghaziLibyan people are protesting against the neo-Ottoman ambitions of Turkish president Erdogan.
KhartoumA Free West Media exclusive: How Sudan and Turkey transferred terrorists to Libya.
BaghdadThe Iraqi capital city of Baghdad was rocked by mass protests on Friday, as hundreds of thousands of demonstrators marched against the presence of American troops in the country.
New YorkOn November 23, WikiLeaks published information from an OPCW employee, a member of its fact finding mission to Douma, Syria, expressing “his gravest concern over intentional bias introduced to a redacted version of the report he co-authored”.
Iran has indicated that it will pursue war-crimes charges against President Donald Trump at the International Criminal Court in the Hague over this month's assassination of General Qassem Soleimani.
On January 3, the United States killed Iran's most important commander, Qassem Soleimani. According to Kuwaiti media, which cite Iraq's prime minister as a source, Soleimani was invited by the prime minister at the request of the United States to mediate with Iran. When Soleimani left Baghdad's airport, he was bombed by a US drone along with the entire receiving Iraqi delegation. The United States then announced that it would stop fighting the Islamic State and focus instead on the forces with which it had been allied in the fight against IS. Iraq's parliament has voted to expel the US from Iraq, something the US refuses to obey.