Skip to Content

Still from Israeli power point presentation on Iran
Washington

Trump pulls plug on Iran JCPOA deal

US President Donald Trump announced on Tuesday that the United States will be pulling out of the Iran nuclear deal and will re-impose economic sanctions on Iran.

Published: May 9, 2018, 10:40 am

    Read more

    “I am announcing today that the United States will withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal. In a few moments, I will sign a presidential memorandum to begin reinstating US nuclear sanctions on the Iranian regime. We will be instituting the highest level of economic sanctions.”

    The sanctions Trump will reintroduce are not just limiting US dealings with Iran, but will also penalize other countries. Trump’s announcement puts several European companies in difficult positions, including the French oil giant Total.

    Total had hoped the contract it signed with Iran would be excluded from the newly reimposed US sanctions, but that seemed unlikely.

    In a joint statement issued by Paris, London and Berlin (known together as the E3), warned that due to the US decision “the nuclear non-proliferation regime was at stake”.

    The E3 had attempted to introduce lighter European Union sanctions against Iran in order to appease the US and save the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), but their plan failed.

    Outside the E3, Italy together with other EU countries had objected to these harsh American measures against Iran as it would hurt their interests.

    France, alongside other European participants of the agreement reached by Iran and the P5+1 group Germany and the UK earlier, criticised Trump’s decision to exit the 2015 nuclear accord.

    French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said there was now a real risk of war. Drian responded that “there is a real risk of confrontation” in the wake of Washington’s decision.

    He voiced hope that the US move would not be “a setback for peace”. The minister told French radio station RTL: “This agreement is not dead,” adding that President Emmanuel Macron would soon contact his Iranian counterpart Hassan Rouhani.

    After Donald Trump announced that the US would be withdrawing from the Iran-nuclear deal, Europe’s High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Federica Mogherini vowed to preserve the JCPOA.

    Undeterred by Trump’s threat to sanction countries doing business with Iran, Mogherini called the deal the property of the entire international community and not just a single nation.

    Maja Kocijancic, EU spokeswoman for foreign affairs, told reporters in Brussels: “We are working on plans to protect the interests of European companies.”

    The US withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal has boosted the outlook for crude-oil prices, The Washington Post reported. Before the deal, the Obama administration had urged traders and refiners to not buy Iranian oil, bringing about 20 percent cuts in purchases until more than 1 million barrels a day of Iran’s exports had been taken off world markets. Fear of a repeat scenario has been bolstering oil prices in recent weeks.

    Trump told reporters at his announcement: “This was a horrible one-sided deal that should have never, ever been made. It didn’t bring calm. It didn’t bring peace. And it never will.” He accused Iran of supporting terrorist groups in the Middle East.

    But Trump immediately faced questions about his actual strategy for the Middle East beyond scrapping the Iran deal.

    Syrian state media announced that Israel struck a military outpost near the capital Damascus on Tuesday an hour after President Donald Trump announced he was withdrawing from the Iran nuclear deal. Multiple sources including Al-Masdar News, reported that Syria was struck by an Israeli missile attack.

    A recent poll found that over three-quarters of Israelis agreed with their prime minister that the deal posed an “existential threat” to the Jewish state. And another recent survey found that almost 60 percent of Israelis “fully approve” of the way Netanyahu is “handling the Iranian threat”.

    Reports also emerged that the Israeli military, stationed on high alert in the Golan Heights, have been given orders, along with local authorities to secure bomb shelters.

    The SANA news agency said Syrian air defences had shot down two Israeli missiles in the Kiswah area on Tuesday, the BBC reported. No casualties were noted, but a monitoring group says at least nine pro-government forces had been killed, including Iranian-backed soldiers.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Middle East

    Mass protest against US presence rocks Baghdad

    BaghdadThe Iraqi capital city of Baghdad was rocked by mass protests on Friday, as hundreds of thousands of demonstrators marched against the presence of American troops in the country.

    Manipulated OPCW report on Douma exposed in UNSC testimony

    New YorkOn November 23, WikiLeaks published information from an OPCW employee, a member of its fact finding mission to Douma, Syria, expressing “his gravest concern over intentional bias introduced to a redacted version of the report he co-authored”.

    Trump could face ‘strong’ war-crimes case over Soleimani’s murder

    Iran has indicated that it will pursue war-crimes charges against President Donald Trump at the International Criminal Court in the Hague over this month's assassination of General Qassem Soleimani.

    US lured Soleimani into Irak ‘to discuss peace’ — regional media

    On January 3, the United States killed Iran's most important commander, Qassem Soleimani. According to Kuwaiti media, which cite Iraq's prime minister as a source, Soleimani was invited by the prime minister at the request of the United States to mediate with Iran. When Soleimani left Baghdad's airport, he was bombed by a US drone along with the entire receiving Iraqi delegation. The United States then announced that it would stop fighting the Islamic State and focus instead on the forces with which it had been allied in the fight against IS. Iraq's parliament has voted to expel the US from Iraq, something the US refuses to obey.

    Christians in Syria mourn the death of Iranian general

    AleppoThe US "maximum pressure" campaign against Iran has surprised at least one blogger, an American analyst who is knowledgeable about the Middle East and speaks Arabic fluently.

    Iraqi parliament votes to eject all foreign troops from its soil

    Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi has publicly declared that he can no longer guarantee the security of foreign troops on Iraqi soil. It is therefore likely that foreign troops will leave soon.

    Washington fails to convince allies of its latest scheme in Syria

    WashingtonAt the high-level State Department meeting in Washington this week, diplomats from 35 nations and international organisations expressed confusion over the Trump administration’s policy in northeast Syria.

    Lebanon faces a ‘crisis of the system’

    BeirutLebanon is currently being shaken by public mass protests against the government. Lebanese political scientist and author Dr. Jamal Wakim offers an insight exclusively for FreeWestMedia.

    Saudi ground forces destroyed

    The Houthi movement, which has been fighting the Saudi-led military intervention of Yemen since 2015, has carried out a large-scale ambush on the border with southern Saudi Arabia, resulting in massive losses to Riyadh and its allies. Thousands of Saudi-led coalition soldiers were killed, injured and captured. It occurred less than two weeks after the Houthis' devastating air attack on September 14 against two very important oil plants in Saudi Arabia, which at stage halved the oil dictatorship's exports. Western media have chosen to ignore or downplay the historical news.

    Oil wars: Iran responds to British seizure of oil tanker

    When the British military seized an Iranian oil tanker, its Marine commandos came on board the vessel by helicopter. Iran has now demonstrated that it can act on the same operational level as Britain, says a military analyst.

    Go to archive