Bombing of Italian League office treated as terrorism
Treviso Prosecutor Michele Dalla Costa said on Friday that the explosives planted outside the provincial office of the League in the town of Villorba was "terrorism".
Published: August 17, 2018, 2:54 pm
Police have confirmed that a bomb was set off outside the League’s office in Villorba, near Treviso. One explosive went off on the night between Wednesday and Thursday while bomb disposal experts removed yet another bomb, disabling the second suspected explosive device in a controlled explosion.
“A rudimentary bomb exploded outside the League’s office in Villorba (Treviso), another was found that had not gone off,” tweeted the leader of the Lega party, Deputy Premier and Interior Minister Matteo Salvini. The blast did not cause any damage to the structure or injure anyone, but it could have been much more serious.
The second device appears to have been intended as the main explosion. It was supposed to go off after the first small explosion had lured authorities and others into the area to be killed and maimed by a another bomb blast containing nails and other metal fragments.
An anarchist group calling itself the Haris Hatzimihelakis/Internazionale cell said that it was responsible for the blast.
According to League sources, the second more dangerous bomb was manufactured using a pressure cooker filled with nails. Italian far-left extremists have taken credit for the bombing that damaged the door at the entrance of the building, Italian daily Corriere Della Sera reported.
Italian investigators were able to link a far-left anarchist organisation to the bombing following a posting on 12 August which claimed responsibility for the attack. Their statement, which was published by Italian newspaper Il Giornale, claims the attack was combatting “racism and exploitation”.
“Direct action makes us clear as to why and how. For an internationalist, rebellious, Anarchist solidarity! For a world without borders or authority!” the group, known as the Santiago Maldonado Cell explained.
The bombing was the second claimed by the far-left group. In December of 2017, they were said to have been responsible for the bombing of a Carabinieri barracks in Rome declaring a “war on uniforms”. At the time, the Rome public prosecutor stated that the investigation was being treated as an act of terrorism.
Antifa released a terror handbook for “riot tourists”to Germany earlier this year encouraging attacks on officials. Detailed plans of how to make remote-detonated bombs were also linked to the website promoting the handbook.
All rights reserved. You have permission to quote freely from the articles provided that the source (www.freewestmedia.com) is given. Photos may not be used without our consent.
Consider donating to support our work
Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.
Keep your language polite. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in, for example, Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.
If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violations of any law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.
If your comments are subject to preview by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.
We reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.
The editorial staff of FreeWestMedia wishes you a blessed Christmas and a happy New Year! We thank you for the loyalty you have shown us throughout the year and for your support.
CanberraFor two years, Australian authorities have been broadcasting horoscopes with harmful predictions to dissuade potential migrants from carrying out their project.
In the run-up to the 2020 municipal elections, the Yellow Vests intend to weigh in by loudly claiming their demands at a local level. And they will do so without necessarily presenting a list.
LondonShocking new figures from the UK's National Health Service (NHS) revealed that foreign-trained doctors commit six in ten cases of sexual misconduct with patients, even though they make up only a third of the NHS staff.
For Act XXXII of their mobilization, the Yellow Vests have chosen to return to their original strategy: blockages paralyzing the economy and targeted actions. The move could succeed in reigniting the movement.
ParisOf the 61 French gendarmes who were charged on Thursday to escort two French high officials, 48 were off work.
A large percentage of migrants have expressed consent for violence used against the German anti-immigration party, the AfD.
The Russian economy has clearly weathered sanctions better than some Western politicians imagined. Despite years of international pressure and low oil prices, Russia will overtake Germany as the world's fifth largest economy.
RomeItalian Deputy Premier and Interior Minister Matteo Salvini confirmed on Wednesday that Italy will not be signing the UN United Nations Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration at an intergovernmental conference to be held in Marrakech next month.
AmsterdamA Dutch judge has just given an asylum seeker a milder punishment after he raped a disabled girl, so as to prevent the migrant's expulsion.