Skip to Content

Donald Trump. Wikipedia

Trump could face ‘strong’ war-crimes case over Soleimani’s murder

Iran has indicated that it will pursue war-crimes charges against President Donald Trump at the International Criminal Court in the Hague over this month's assassination of General Qassem Soleimani.

Published: January 21, 2020, 8:29 am

    Read more

    According to the legal expert consulted by Business Insider Iran has a chance of winning any case at the ICC. The NATO military attaché in the Middle East told Insider that the case against the US was in fact “shockingly strong”.

    The US has defended the killing by saying that Soleimani posed an “imminent” threat to the US. But Agnes Callamard, UN Special Rapporteur on Extra-Judicial Executions, tweeted that the bar for justifying lethal action in such circumstances is extremely high and requires a threat level that the US has so far failed to identify.

    Callamard noted: “The targeted killings of Qasem Soleimani and Abu Mahdi al Muhandi most likely violate international law [including] human rights law,” she wrote. “Lawful justifications for such killings are very narrowly defined and it is hard to imagine how any of these can apply to these killings.”

    The White House statement “mentions that it aimed at ‘deterring future Iranian attack plans,'” she added. “This however is very vague. Future is not the same as imminent which is the time based test required under international law.”

    According to Gholam Hossein Esmaeili, the spokesman for Iran’s top judicial authorities, his country will pursue war-crimes charges against Trump over the January 3 assassination of its top commander outside Baghdad’s international airport,

    “We intend to file lawsuits in the Islamic Republic, Iraq and The Hague Court [International Court of Justice] against the military and government of America and against Trump,” Esmaeili told the media on Tuesday.

    “There is no doubt that the US military has done a terrorist act assassinating Guards Commander Lt. Gen. Soleimani and Second-in-Command of Iraq Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis … and Trump has confessed doing the crime.”

    The US is however not a signatory to the international court but Trump will face a global public-relations burden if the case goes to trial.

    Iran’s move could pose significant problems for the US and its NATO partners, should the court rule against the Trump administration, the internationally recognized NATO expert told the Insider.

    “If this case happens — I suspect there are some reasons Iran might not want to take this mess to an international court for their own reasons — but if it does go forward, the case against the Americans is shockingly strong,” the official, who asked not to be named, said.

    “On the face of it, the killing of Soleimani for reasons specifically cited by Trump is probably illegal. Do the Americans have a stronger case then they’re showing us?

    “I would assume so, but there’s little chance of them participating in a Hague trial, so all the evidence will be what Iran delivers along with public statements. And these statements will not look good in a courtroom,” he concluded.

    At the US media briefing after the murder, an unnamed US official said when questioned about it: “Jesus, do we have to explain why we do these things?”

    The US is not at war with Iran. The US Constitution gives Congress the sole authority to declare war, and it has never declared war on Iran. Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi correctly suggested that congressional leaders should have been consulted on the plan.

    The Pentagon said it was “deterring future Iranian attack plans.” As Callamard pointed out, this is not the same as the “imminent” attack required to justify acting in self-defense under international law.

    A total of seven people died and these other deaths were also illegal killings.

    Meanwhile, it was revealed that an Iranian Woman in the #IraniansDetestSoleimani viral video had been a lobbyist for militants in Libya. But Saghar Erica Kasraie never disclosed her involvement in Libya’s civil war, Buzzfeed reported.

    She received more than 10 million views across Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, for praising the US drone strike that killed Soleimani. Last year, Kasraie worked for Linden Government Solutions, a Texas-based lobbying firm hired to represent the Libyan National Army in Washington. The militia in the north African country is led by Khalifa Haftar.

    In the video, Kasraie, maintains that Iranians were celebrating Soleimani’s death, thanking Trump, and giving out cakes on the street as a symbol of their joy. “I feel like we’re living in the Twilight Zone, guys. I’m completely outraged at this notion that the propaganda machine that is the media is glorifying Qassem Soleimani,” she claims in the video.

    Public documents filed through the Foreign Agent Registration Act show that her job entailed “Planning, coordinating meetings with Government, Business representatives, and think tanks, and other government relations services in support of Client’s diplomatic goals” on behalf of the “Decision Support Center of Libya (on behalf of the Libyan National Army)”.

    Kasraie’s YouTube video was tagged #IraniansDetestSoleimani, and amplified by “inauthentic Twitter accounts” – actually bots – several minutes after the video was posted.

    She denied that the inauthentic activity surrounding the video was linked to her lobbying firm, saying that her video had been successful because people agreed with what she had to say. “I think I represent Iranians that support Trump,” she said.

    Trump has now threatened the signatories of the Iran nuclear deal with a 25 percent tariff on exported cars unless they officially accuse Iran of breaking the 2015 JCPOA deal, it has been reported.

    The secret threat last week, first reported by The Washington Post, cited unnamed European officials, confirming that the tariffs could be imposed on all European automobile imports to the US unless Britain, France and Germany agreed to the ultimatum.

    Iran has countered the European move. Its Foreign Minister Javad Zarif announced that Iran may leave the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) if any of the European countries escalates the issue to the UNSC.

    Consider donating to support our work

    Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    • LuciusAnnaeusSeneca

      In the ICC? Well, then, case over! The US is not bound by it or any of its decisions.

    Middle East

    Anti-Turkish ‘Stop Terror’ rally held in Benghazi

    BenghaziLibyan people are protesting against the neo-Ottoman ambitions of Turkish president Erdogan.

    Al-Qaeda on the threshold of Europe

    KhartoumA Free West Media exclusive: How Sudan and Turkey transferred terrorists to Libya.

    Mass protest against US presence rocks Baghdad

    BaghdadThe Iraqi capital city of Baghdad was rocked by mass protests on Friday, as hundreds of thousands of demonstrators marched against the presence of American troops in the country.

    Manipulated OPCW report on Douma exposed in UNSC testimony

    New YorkOn November 23, WikiLeaks published information from an OPCW employee, a member of its fact finding mission to Douma, Syria, expressing “his gravest concern over intentional bias introduced to a redacted version of the report he co-authored”.

    US lured Soleimani into Irak ‘to discuss peace’ — regional media

    On January 3, the United States killed Iran's most important commander, Qassem Soleimani. According to Kuwaiti media, which cite Iraq's prime minister as a source, Soleimani was invited by the prime minister at the request of the United States to mediate with Iran. When Soleimani left Baghdad's airport, he was bombed by a US drone along with the entire receiving Iraqi delegation. The United States then announced that it would stop fighting the Islamic State and focus instead on the forces with which it had been allied in the fight against IS. Iraq's parliament has voted to expel the US from Iraq, something the US refuses to obey.

    Christians in Syria mourn the death of Iranian general

    AleppoThe US "maximum pressure" campaign against Iran has surprised at least one blogger, an American analyst who is knowledgeable about the Middle East and speaks Arabic fluently.

    Iraqi parliament votes to eject all foreign troops from its soil

    Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi has publicly declared that he can no longer guarantee the security of foreign troops on Iraqi soil. It is therefore likely that foreign troops will leave soon.

    Washington fails to convince allies of its latest scheme in Syria

    WashingtonAt the high-level State Department meeting in Washington this week, diplomats from 35 nations and international organisations expressed confusion over the Trump administration’s policy in northeast Syria.

    Lebanon faces a ‘crisis of the system’

    BeirutLebanon is currently being shaken by public mass protests against the government. Lebanese political scientist and author Dr. Jamal Wakim offers an insight exclusively for FreeWestMedia.

    Saudi ground forces destroyed

    The Houthi movement, which has been fighting the Saudi-led military intervention of Yemen since 2015, has carried out a large-scale ambush on the border with southern Saudi Arabia, resulting in massive losses to Riyadh and its allies. Thousands of Saudi-led coalition soldiers were killed, injured and captured. It occurred less than two weeks after the Houthis' devastating air attack on September 14 against two very important oil plants in Saudi Arabia, which at stage halved the oil dictatorship's exports. Western media have chosen to ignore or downplay the historical news.

    Go to archive