Skip to Content

Kiev escalates war on Donbass to muddy Trump’s peace efforts

For almost two weeks now, the people of Donbass have endured thousands of artillery shellings by Poroshenko’s forces.

Published: February 8, 2017, 10:09 am

    Read more

    The city of Donetsk and surrounding towns are being targeted. Apartment blocks, schools and factories have not been spared the horror.

    Water and electricity has also been cut off in the dead of winter by Kiev forces striking civilian infrastructure.

    Before the latest escalation, senators John McCain and Lindsey Graham took a trip to the front lines in Ukraine on January 2, where Senator Graham was videotaped telling Kiev’s troops: “You need to go on the offensive in 2017.”

    He added: “When we get home we’re going to make sure that we punish Russia.” Shortly after Kiev’s troops were told to go to war, they started a new offensive.

    To the Kiev regime’s horror, Trump has said that he would work with all sides, including Putin, to end the conflict in Ukraine.

    Trump was evidently not buying into the narrative by Poroshenko’s regime, that the Ukraine is being “attacked by Russia” through Donbass proxies.

    As Daniel McAdams told RT: “I think it [Trump’s attitude] is very interesting for a number of reasons. First of all, it is very significant that President Trump spoke with Yulia Timoshenko before he spoke with Petro Poroshenko. I am certain that move was heard very loudly in Kiev. We don’t know what they talked about, but I think it’s very significant.”

    The Organization for Cooperation and Security in Europe which is supposed to be monitoring the 2015 Minsk ceasefire have confirmed that it is the Kiev forces who are breaching the contact line, as Kiev authorities are doing their best to avoid adhering to the Minsk peace agreements.

    The agreement is specifically related to the planned ceasefire in Donbass. The second of the two Minsk peace agreements is now nearing its second anniversary.

    Earlier this week, the OSCE reported that four Ukrainian army T-64 tanks had parked behind a building in the Donetsk suburb of Avdiivka in violation of the respective withdrawal lines.

    The situation near Avdiivka and neighbouring city of Yasynuvata has been tense for several days, with both Kiev forces and Donbass militia reportedly suffering casualties.

    Spokesperson for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Ravina Shamdasani said on Friday that at least seven people had been killed and 41 more had been injured in Donbass fighting since the beginning of the flare-up.

    Billions of dollars have been poured into this reportedly corrupt regime by its sponsors in Washington, Europe and the IMF, but none of the promised reforms have been delivered so far.

    The current escalation of the conflict in eastern Ukraine’s Donbass region can be explained by many factors, including Kiev’s desire to muddy US President Donald Trump’s proposed friendlier policy towards Russia, Russian political analyst Andrey Suzdaltsev told Sputnik.

    “Paradoxically, Moscow is accused of not sticking to the Minsk agreements, which were, by the way, not signed by Russia, while Kiev actually launches an offensive by deploying tanks and preparing an attack,” he said.

    He added that “on the one hand, the OSCE [Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine] mission takes the records of everything, but on the other – they are using double standards”.

    “They were actually present during the preparation for a tank attack and did nothing. And now the only hope is that the OSCE mission will be present in Donbass as a witness,” Suzdaltsev concluded.

    According to Eduard Basurin, the vice commander of the DPR, as quoted in Fort Russ: “Following the talk between Poroshenko and Trump, Ukraine will in the near future cease to receive financial and military support for its terrorist operation in the land of Donbass. In connection with this, the Ukrainian president has fallen into complete despair and is ready to desperately commit to the most reckless action of unleashing a full-scale and bloody war in Eastern Europe.”

    In order to resolve the Ukrainian conflict, Donald Trump might be looking for a way to help to eject Porochenko. He received the head of the opposition even before he accepted a phone call from Porochenko at the White House.

    But on Wednesday the group of anti-Russian US senators intended to introduce legislation allowing a congressional review of a White House request to lift anti-Russian sanctions and giving Congress the veto power.

    In case US President Donald Trump unilaterally takes a decision to lift sanctions against Russia, the initiative led by Lindsey Graham and Ben Cardin, and supported by John McCain and Marco Rubio, is designed to uphold the sanctions in place.

    According to CNN, the Russia Review Act would urge the Trump administration to submit to Congress a detailed report, explaining the reasons for sanctions lifting. It would also introduce a 120-day review period, granting the Congress final approval authority.

    “I think if there was a real threat of lifting sanctions minus the respect for Ukrainian sovereignty and meeting those conditions, my sense is that we would have the votes to pass that in the Senate and we would be able to pass it with a veto-proof majority,” Rubio, who is also member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, told CNN.

    The new US ambassador to the UN, Nikki Haley, has meanwhile requested an audit of 16 US “peace-keeping” missions. She has made it known that she intends to put an end to those which seem to be quite inefficient in ending wars.

    On the war front a commander in the eastern Ukrainian region of Donetsk was assassinated.

    Mikhail Tolstykh, better known by his nom de guerre Givi, died after a bomb exploded in his office in the stronghold of Donetsk just after 6am local time on February 8, a source with ties to its military told RFE/RL by phone.

    Donetsk authorities have called the killing “a continuation of the terrorist war launched by the Kiev authorities” against the residents of eastern Ukraine, according to Russia’s RIA Novosti news agency. They said an investigative team was working at the bomb site.

     

     

     

    The news comes as the self-proclaimed republics of DPR and LPR have been witnessing the largest military activities since the signing of the Minsk-2 agreement.

    Givi is yet another victim of such assault as earlier this week LPR’s colonel Oleg Anashtenko died in a similar case when his car was blown up.

    Another separatist commander, Arseny Pavlov aka Motorola, died on October 16 last year when a bomb exploded in an elevator in his apartment block in Donetsk.

    Fighting between Ukrainian government forces and militias has killed thousands in eastern Ukraine since April 2014.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Europe

    UK faces policing crisis as cops quit in huge numbers

    Law enforcement chiefs in Britain are struggling to find enough specialist detectives with three-quarters of stations admitting that they cannot fill vacancies because of the rate at which experienced officers are quitting the force.

    French official criticises British resolve to stop illegals

    In the fight against networks of human traffickers in the English Channel, the president of the Regional Council of Hauts-de-France has pleaded for stronger cooperation between France and Britain to end illegal immigration.

    Smartphones stolen in Barcelona turn up in Marrakesh

    A profitable black market in smartphones is encouraging the theft of mobile phones in the coastal city of Barcelona.

    Bertelsmann study: Does Germany really need more immigrants?

    Germany supposedly needs 260 000 immigrants each year, a study commissioned by the Bertelsmann Foundation has recently found. But the findings have drawn much criticism and incomprehension.

    Number of migrants in German prisons at a record high

    BerlinMigrant inmates in German prisons have skyrocketed, a new survey of the Justice Ministries in in Germany's 16 federal states show.

    Hungary launches seven-point family plan

    BudapestHungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban has announced a family protection plan in his state-of-the nation address in Budapest on Sunday.

    Act XIII: Protester’s hand torn off by police grenade

    ParisDuring the clashes that took place in front of the National Assembly in Paris over the weekend between police and Yellow Vests, a protester lost his hand. Tensions rose a notch in Paris on Saturday, February 9 on the occasion of Act XIII of the protest movement.

    UK Counter Terrorism interviews 8-year-old

    LondonIn Britain, an eight-year-old Muslim boy was questioned by two counter-terrorism police officers and a social worker at a school in east London because he had become so radicalized.

    French border officials caught forging migrant applications

    French border officials have been accused of forgery in order to send young migrants back to Italy.

    Smørdland-like knife murder attempt in IKEA Hamburg

    HamburgIn Hamburg-Schnelsen, Germany, a young man, 22, was stabbed on Saturday evening shortly after 6pm by a "Southerner" in the cashier area of IKEA.

    Go to archive